Clydagh Mill is a former water mill that dates back to the 19th century. Located near the village of Moycullen in Galway, Clydagh Mill is surrounded by a beautiful landscape of fields, trees and a river.

Clydagh Mill was built around 1860, during the period of the Great Famine in Ireland. It was one of the many mills that were established to process corn and oats, which were staple crops for the local population. The mill was powered by a water wheel that was connected to a millrace, a channel that diverted water from the nearby Loughkip River. The mill also had a kiln, where the grain was dried before being ground into flour or meal.

The mill was strategically located to take advantage of two important factors: a river for power and a road for transportation. The mill was situated along the old Galway-Clifden road, which was an important route for trade and travel in the region. The mill produced flour and meal that were sold to local markets and customers, as well as exported to other areas. The mill also provided employment and income for the miller and his workers, who lived in nearby cottages.

The mill operated until the early 20th century, when it was gradually replaced by more modern and efficient methods of milling. The mill fell into disrepair and was eventually abandoned. Today, the mill is owned by a private family, who have preserved it as a historic monument. The mill is not open to the public, but it can be viewed from the road or with the owner’s permission. The mill is a striking example of industrial heritage in Galway, and a reminder of the past way of life in rural Ireland.


53.325997, -9.167430

Clydagh Mill



There are currently no reviews submitted.