Built in 1832 by John d’Arcy, the founder of Clifden, at the expense of £500, the Abbeyglen Castle was shortly after leased to the then parish priest, Rev. P. Fitzmaurice, and was named ‘Glenowen House’ at the time.
The castle was later purchased for use as a Protestant orphanage by the Irish Church Mission Society. Here girls would have been trained for domestic service such as cleaning, cooking, gardening, childcare and more for private estates and landowners. In 1953, the orphanage became a mixed orphanage until 1955, where it then closed due to financial difficulties.
The castle fell derelict and was home to livestock for some time. It was then purchased by Padraig Joyce of Clifden who renovated the castle and operated it as the Glenowen House Hotel in the 1960s. The castle continued to operate as a hotel after the Hughes family took over in 1969, and still remains a prestigious hotel to this day.
With magnificent views across Clifden Bay & Harbour, the 4 star hotel provides luxury rooms, relaxation and service making it a truly wonderful place to stay while in Clifden.