ST. GEORGE MAUSOLEUM
Incorporated into the ruins of Drumacoo Church, on the site of an early monastic settlement, this Gothic inspired mausoleum was built for the Lady Harriet St George by her husband Arthur F. St George, the occupants of Tyrone House and Kilcolgan Castle.
The mausoleum is referred to by the English poet laureate Sir John Betjeman (1906-84) in his poem ‘Ireland with Emily’. ‘There in pinnacled protection, one extinguished family waits a Church of Ireland resurrection by the broken, rusty gates. Sheepswool, straw and droppings cover, graves of spinster, rake and lover, whose fantastic mausoleum, sings its own seablown Te Deum, in and out the slipping slates’.
There are currently no reviews submitted.