The abbey at Glenlo was constructed in the 1790’s as a private church for the Ffrench family who constructed and owned the mansion house and demesne in 1740.
The house and abbey were once known as Kentfield House. The abbey however was never completed and as a result was never consecrated. It was typical of 18th century Ireland to find chapels on large demesnes.
The estate was put up for sale in 1846, where it was eventually purchased by the Blake family (another illustrious Galway tribe family). It was later purchased by the Palmers in 1897 where it remained under their ownership for the following 90 years.
There are currently no reviews submitted.