The Spanish Arch are two remaining arches which were part of the extension of the city wall, constructed during the mayoralty of Wylliam Martin in 1584, as a measure to protect the city’s quays, which were once known as the Fish Market area.
In the 18th century the Eyre family of Eyrecourt created an extension of the quays called The Long Walk and created the arches to allow access from the town to the new quays. The designation “Spanish” is not historical to this period and was likely known as the Eyre Arch when built.
The Spanish Arch is, in fact, a misnomer, as there is no proven association between the Spanish in Galway and the building of the Arch.
There are currently no reviews submitted.