The MV Plassy, or Plassey as it was otherwise known, was originally a steam trawler launched in late 1940 but converted to a cargo vessel in 1947. The ship was acquired by the Limerick Steamship Company in 1951 and named Plassey.
While sailing through Galway Bay, on 8th March 1960, carrying a cargo of whiskey, stained glass and yarn, the ship was caught in a severe storm and ran onto Finnis Rock, on Inisheer Island. Local Islanders rescued the entire crew using breeches buoy.
Several weeks later, a second storm washed the ship off the rock and drove it on to the shoreline of the island where the wreck still lies today.
There are currently no reviews submitted.