THE BROWNE DOORWAY
The Browne Doorway was the former entrance to the Browne house of 1627. It was removed from its original location in 1905 to form a freestanding feature in Eyre Square.
The monument doorway is a reminder of the great architecture in the days of Galway’s civic opulence between the sixteenth and eighteenth centuries. The Renaissance doorway displays fine carved detailing to include the coats of arms of the two families united by marriage which is a typical feature found in medieval and late medieval contexts.
There are currently no reviews submitted.