TUAM RAILWAY STATION
Tuam railway station is a disused railway station associated with the town of Tuam. Opened in 1860 as part of the Waterford, Limerick and Western Railway route between Limerick and Sligo, the station was a major stop on the section between Athenry and Claremorris and was the only station on this section which consisted of two platforms and a passing loop.
The station serviced passenger and freight trains, with Tuam also featuring an extensive goods yard and locomotive facilities. The station was closed, along with the whole route to passenger trains, in 1976 during Córas Iompair Éireann’s rationalisation of the rail network. After its closure to passenger trains, the goods facilities at Tuam continued to be heavily used until 1993, when Tuam station was closed as a block post.
There are currently no reviews submitted.