Terryland Castle, or the ‘Old Castle’ as it’s sometimes referred, was a 13th century castle built by the De Burgo (Burke) family.
The castle was a strategic crossing point of the River Corrib. At the time, there was another castle on the opposite side of the river (parts of which also survive). In 1641, Terryland Castle was garrisoned during the rebellion of 1641 and again during the Cromwellian Wars in 1652.
It was later defended by joint Irish and French troops against the approaching Williamite Army in 1691. The castle was destroyed by fire in 1961 where it has remained in ruins ever since.
In recent years, archaeological digs uncovered human remains and artefacts believed to date back to medieval times.
There are currently no reviews submitted.