Moyode Castle was a 16th century fortified tower house, a stronghold of the De Burgo (Burke) family, believed to have been built by MacHubert Burke.
In the surrounding lands, an alternative Moyode Castle was built in 1820 by Burton de Burgh Persse on the estate. By this time, the original tower house (pictured) had fallen to ruins but was restored as part of the new Persse estate. However in 1920, the new Moyode Castle was burnt to the ground, leaving only the old tower house and other outbuildings remaining.
The tower house was purchased as a ruin by the American historian James Charles Roy in 1969. It has undergone a lot of restoration work and has largely been restored bringing it back to it’s former glory.
There are currently no reviews submitted.