Hackett Castle (otherwise known as Castlehackett) was originally a two storey tower house built in the 13th century with third and fourth floors built later in the 16th century.
The castle was built by a Norman family, the Hacketts, where it bears its name. The Hacketts had pushed the stronghold of the O’Flaherty clan back across the lakes to Connemara.
In the 15th century, the castle became occupied by the Kirwan’s but was later abandoned and uninhabited from 1703, where the Kirwan’s built a nearby manor house and resided their instead.
The castle now lays in ruins.
There are currently no reviews submitted.