According to the ‘Annals of the Four Masters’, Corofin Castle was built in 1451 by Lord Clanricarde for Emelina De Burgo (Burke). The castle was part of the manor of Headford. Records show that the castle was later held by Richard De Burgo (Burke) in 1585.
The entrance of the castle has grooves for a portcullis which more than likely existed in the past and there is remains of a staircase.
April 28, 2023