Ballymaquiff Castle is a small tower house which was built by the De Burgo (Burke) family. The ruin features a ground floor and second floor vaulting, a 5ft square hallway, stone staircase and a narrow round-headed cut-stone opening near the top of the north wall which points to the castle being a construction of the wealthy De Burgo family.
Records seem to suggest that the De Burgo family had sold the castle to the Ffrench family from quite early on. The castle passed through the Ffrench family through the years with records stating the ownership of Christopher Ffrench in 1650 and Arthur French in 1675.
There are currently no reviews submitted.